6.11.2013

Proactiv

It's June 12! Happy Independence Day Philippines!! Thank God for giving us an Independence to celebrate! But I won't be posting about independence day... :) It's holiday today so I am glad I will be able to share a blog post with you today.

On my previous posts, you may already know that it is now at this stage of my life where I experience more break out than ever. I suddenly have oily skin! I've encountered stress and it stresses me more when a zitty zit pop out! Arg! Wah!! Hay yayay! So I've been on the on the search for several acne beating products in the market. 

I've been aware with Proactiv way back in high school when it was just still sold via home TV shopping! It was very convincing to avail it but then I don't have that problem during that time. This brand has been very visible since then as they even got several endorsers (Justin Bieber, Katy Perry and Naya Rivera). 

I've been thinking if I would get Proactiv since I find it a little pricey and is not sure if it will be good for my skin.. Not just in terms of it's effectivity but if it will be accepted by my skin meaning irritations, allergy or whatever effect it may cause. So finally I am able to try this product!

This set was actually first used by my nephew, as he become a teenager he is now experiencing a little oily  skin type. So we got this for him. (I will first observe it with him before deciding if I will get Proactiv for myself too. haha!) But after a few days of using this! Proactive is kinda strong for his skin. His face became red as if he just went to the beach! Para siyang na sun burn. Because of it, I will have to use this product already.


Buti na lang we only got him the 30 day kit set! You can see on the above photo the products included in the 30 day kit set! Cleanser - Toner - Repairing Treatment and Mask.


On the above image, these are the active ingredients that helps fight acne. I will talk more about it as we go along. So keep on reading... :)


Let's start with the first step! The renewing cleanser.


Base on my research, Benzoyl Peroxide act as a peeling agent to clarify the skin. It peels off dead skin cells and helps renew the skin. With this, it leaves the skin with cleaner pores, reduce bacteria and act as anti microbial thus prevent the occurrence of acne.


Unlike other facial wash, Proactiv cleanser need to be damped on to the skin for 1 to 2 minutes. What I do is rub it in circles for 1 minute and leave it on the skin for another minute before washing it off.




It is not visible in the image below but it actually has micro bids that exfoliates your face daily. At first I was a little skeptical with the idea of having to exfoliate my face everyday - twice a day! It might be too harsh (what just happened to my nephew). But then again, I have not yet tried it. So better to try it first and if the same thing will happen to me then I might just as well stop using this.


I suggest to get generous amount of product every time you wash your face. Don't be afraid that you might finish the product even before one month. I am actually using this more than a month already considering that my nephew have also used it for a few days. After using Proactiv Cleanser I didn't actually feel that I have a clean face since it doesn't produce foam. I am used to using facial wash that foams the whole face. But I felt my face became smooth instantly! It has a nice light smell too even if this is a serious pimple fighting product.

Now let's move on to toning. After we cleanse our face, we certainly need to tone as it bring back the ph that was removed while cleansing the face. 


Glycolic Acid is like Benzoyl Peroxide too as it exfoliate the skin too. The difference is that glycolic acid acts as the anti aging property and also helps fight discoloration of the skin specially brought about by the acne scars. This toner has panthenol ingredient that serves to moisturize the skin.


Same as the cleanser, use generous amount of proactive toner to be able to apply it all over the face. I actually use 10 drops of this toner on my cotton and it doesn't feel too wet on the face. I feel that I am not applying toner on my face and I feel like I want to put some more drops but 10 drops is actually a lot already. :) It's a little sticky but not super sticky on the face but when it dries up my face felt smooth. This toner feels very light on the skin.




The toner is clear in color. It has a very light scent too.




Now on the last step the repairing treatment. Instead of acne spot treatment, Proactiv made an acne treatment lotion for the whole face. It's primarily made up with Benzoyl peroxide too that helps to dry up black heads and of course acne blemishes. Plus it prevents future break outs too. It also has panthenol ingredient. So this treatment lotion act as pimple prevnetion with a little moisturizing effect too.


Same as the cleanser and toner, use a generous amount of the lotion too! It's important to apply ample amount of this product with the whole face! It helps to prevent pimple for the whole face and not just on certain areas only. It has the same light scent with the cleanser and toner. It's light on the skin too and not stingy.







My experience:

During the first 2 to 5 days of my use of Proactiv, I find it that it gives my skin instant smoothness. I didn't encounter any redness and irritations. I observed that my pimples then dried up and flattened easily. My skin looks makinis too except for the pimples. But then I also observed that more pimples suddenly come out! Oh no! Nakakastress ito! Using Proactiv gives me more pimple?? Gosh! The newly born or popped out pimples don't dry up as fast anymore. And so on, in the next week too... I observed more and more pimple come out. But then I still continued using Proactiv since it's a little pricey.. sayang if no one will use it. I then emailed Proactiv PH and inquired about what just had happened. According to them the acnes that come out may have been previous acnes already that are just underneath my skin. The acnes finally came out because I am already using Proactiv thus making those hidden acnes treated. I just followed the steps and religiously continued using Proactiv until I will be able to finish them all. And now during the later part of my Proactiv 30 day treatment, I notice that lesser acne come out. Though I still do encounter break out, it's not as many as before and it dries up faster already. It doesn't get big anymore. My skin looks more healthy (makinis) but I still need to lighten my acne scars which I will have to post separately. I continuously didn't encounter any redness and irritation. Though Proactiv doesn't really dries up my skin. I still recommend to use oil free moisturizer to keep the face softer and of course moisturized.

My verdict:
  • It's a little pricey
  • 30 day kit can really last for 30 days or even more 
  • With continuous usage, it dries up acne or prevent acne to build up or even get big
  • It gives a smooth skin and also makes the skin look healthy and makinis 
  • It is not stingy on the face, it just stings sometimes when I tend to put more haha
  • Every product has small opening thus I am able to control the amount of product that I need
  • The packaging is very derma like, so I feel that I am using a product that really knows about acne
  • It has a booklet inside with information not just about the product but about acne too
  • It has a very light smell that is not scary! I find the smell just right specially that its acne treatment product
  • I use this twice a day
  • I definitely use a moisturizer after it at night and do my usual mu in the morning
  • I felt that my skin wasn't as shiny as before even after applying may usual mu
  • Since this is more on treating acne, make sure to remove your mu thoroughly 
  • It feels light on the skin

After using it for more than a month, I find it effective but I am still not sure if I will get another 30 or 60 days kit. I find it a little expensive as my previous drugstore brand is doing quite the job too except for the smooth finish. But then I do have my monthly dose of acne scrub, I think I will just have to use it more often. I think I will go back to my previous products first and observe if my skin will still be the same.

Proactiv worked quite well with me but not with my nephew as it was too strong for him. So the effect really depends on the different skin types of different person. I think that it will be better if Proactiv will have a skin consultation first before we (the consumers) finally decide to get their product so that we are assured we are getting the right product. We would want to know if Proactiv is just right or maybe too strong already for our current skin condition like what just happened to my nephew. The good thing is that I am able to use it so we didn't waste buying it.

P.S. I am sorry, I am not yet confident taking a photo of my bare face :) So no before and after photo for this review. I still don't have the super makinis look after using this product. Be sure to manage your expectations all the time when getting new products.

-XOXO-

    No comments:

    Post a Comment